FTSF - If I could have dinner with anyone in history, it would be with ...

Ha!  We had a dinner party the other week and we asked a similar question, so I feel quite prepared for this week’s FTSF.

Now I know I should say something really enlightened, like I would like to dine with Nelson Mandela or Florence Nightingale or Shakespeare or Thomas Edison but sadly I am not that lofty.  And I also couldn’t choose just one, so it would have to be a dinner table of wonderful people and it would have to be a long dinner, because anyone can behave (ok, maybe not me so much) or worse yet pretend for a short period of time, but I would like to really connect with these people and speak to them about actual moments in time.

Firstly, I would have to have Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion there (yes I know) but we know how I worship at the altar of the great Celine and Babsie!  Move on.  Then Dame Judy Dench and Stephen Fry.  My primary school Drama Teacher Miss Le Roux (she ignited an awareness in me that has not faded) and Nigella Lawson and then finally, I would love to speak to Princess Diana.  Plus me … 8 people … and what a table!  Would I even be able to speak?  What would we eat?  And what background music would we have on … oh the pressure!

What on earth would I saw to these legendary people?  I would probably sit there with a bunny-in-headlights grin … silent (yes, it has been known to happen). 

Well first, because it is my dinner party, we would have to start with a Champagne Cocktail (or 3) to loosen the inhibitions … just a little, with delicate canapé’s and crudité for those watching their carb intake.  I would try to be cool as I asked Celine how her children and René are doing. (Everyone likes to talk about their kids)  I would ask both Celine and Barbara about their latest projects.  (Do you think I could ask if I could watch, after all now we are mates … right? Too much)  I would ask Stephen what his best read ever was and why (other than his own book of course - The Fry Chronicles) and tease him about what colour the Ancient Greeks thought the sky was or how many moons Earth has, or what the largest mammal on earth is?  (Questions that seem to be revisited regularly on QI).  And what is next for Dame Judy Dench after M?  What an empowering role!  And I would have to beg Nigella’s forgiveness for catering in for the event, and ask her (and the group) what was the most unusual thing they have ever eaten?  (Keep it clean people!)  I would ask Miss Le Roux how close she got to her dream and how her daughter is doing (she must be so grown up now) and then, while the group was chatting, I would quietly ask Princess Diana if she would do it all again, if she knew then what she knows now?  So many questions, but that is my table …

And then finally I would ask each one of my guests … If they could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be?

I just couldn’t narrow my list down to only one and still there are so many people I would love to have over, Hellen Zille, Alecia Beth Moore (who?) that’s P!nk to you and I, Matthew Macfadyen, Taylor Swift, Sir Richard Branson, The Duchess of Cambridge, Eddie Izzard, Elizabeth Gilbert, Michael McIntyre … the list goes on and on.

So who would your table of ten be?

Love you all madly!
Warm regards …             
Collette in Cape Town

Song of the Post … Smooth by Santana and featuring Rob Thomas

 

7 comments:

dinoheromommy.com said...

love the list, it's well rounded and very thoughtful. I chose a few peopel as well. WIth more people there are more stories to be told and things to learn. Love that you would ask them the same question.

Nourishing Nibbles said...

Nice one, except I think I would choose the route of one dinner with each person at a time... that way I wouldnt miss a single word that is said... otherwise how do you keep track of everyone's conversation? ...or maybe have secret spycams all around the room so you get to watch the dinner party over and over and from different angles...? Mmmm kindof like being a fly on the wall?

Janine Huldie said...

Ok, I love your list and you definitely disappoint. Be interesting to hear their answers, especially Princess Diana and really wonder how she would answer to be quite honest. Thank you as always Collette for linking up with us and have a wonderful weekend now!!

Sarah Rudell Beach said...

I had a hard time narrowing it down too! That would be an awesome party ~~ I would love to talk with Princess Di, I think she was amazing!! Fun post!

Katia said...

You have Nigella there, you don't need to worry about cooking! :-) I love your choices, love the bunny in headlight grin (totally with you on that one) and love that you'll be asking them the same question. That would be a good ice breaker, plus you could just sit back and relax and not worry about doing the bunny in the headlight thing, since they're all busy coming up with enlightened choices and no one is paying attention to you anymore. Very wise! :-)

Kristi Campbell said...

I love that you would then ask your awesome guests who they would like to have dinner with. Good idea with the champagne cocktails before hand, too.

Chris Coyle said...

I'm sure Nigella could use a night out after her husband choking her recently! What a tool!! If he behaves that way in public, you have to wonder how he treats her in private! [#FTSF]

Powered by Blogger.

Disclaimer

(C) All content, unless otherwise stated, on the Zenith Thinking Blog is the Intellectual Property of ZenithThinking.